#2 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
  • Local Time: Jul 21 2017 20:37
    • LocationPoland

Posted 13 February 2010 - 17:28

Articles with downloads are no longer needed - i've used much more flexible download system. In the past 7 days when i was working on the website i've broken two things in articles.

Metawords in articles must be seperated by comma ',' instead of space ' '. This will allow to display correct links for the "reated articles" menu. I've splitted long article about harvesting using pagebreaking tags. Please translate these pagebreaks. I tried to found and use translated names but unfortunatly downloads component doesn't have purtuguese translation - i've used brazilian instead.

Contributors who already did something for our service are listed on the page. Editors can change information about them in the admin panel and others can contact with me or one of editors if they want to make some changes in the contact profiles.

Website's technical side is almost finished (apart from custom modules for clans and league) so please report any problems or doubts to me. Popms needs now editors who will fill description for downloads (descriptions can be edited in the admin panel) and gallery with images (i guess Staszek is right person to take care of gallery). Please make sure that metakeywords and title suit the article content.

btw website layout is not finished, there will be some changes to the top.
    Posted Image

#3 Nefarius

• Moderators
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 116 posts
    • 2 topics

Posted 19 February 2010 - 19:05

Unfortunately I can't log in with my username and password at popms.net . Any way to fix that? I would like starting to translate the articles. :P

#4 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 19 February 2010 - 21:47

Try now, it should work. Remember to login to new website instead of old one.
    Please remember to click "save" or "cancel" button after editting an article or it will stay locked for others. They will see a message like "The article xyz is currently being edited by another Editor, Publisher, or Administrator." while trying to edit article. From time to time i'm unlocking locked articles but until they are unlocked they stay unavailable for others.

It's not a joomla bug - it's feature. When you edit an article it's locked for others and nobody will overwrite your work.
    I've changed website's license to Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported. It's the license which is used for some time by authors of wikipedia. I hope all translators have nothing against it. Ask me if you would have any doubts or you wouldn't sure what this license means.
    Posted Image

#5 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics
  • Local Time: Jul 21 2017 15:37

Posted 18 June 2010 - 17:09

DAroo, on 27 November 2009 - 18:03 , said:

Wanted new articles
    • About the Game --> what is this game about, when created, some parts can be based on the popre's wiki but i prefer not encyclopedia form - it's too much boring to read.

I wrote an article about this, I'd love to know what you think about it, and feel free to edit/correct it.
    Here.

#6 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 18 June 2010 - 23:02

I changed one thing:
    "The members of the tribe are as mentioned the Shaman plus five units." --> "The members of the tribe are, as mentioned, the Shaman plus five type of units."

This text is very well written and only thing it needs now are screens from the game to illustrate paragraphs. I got few ideas for pictures so i will add them but a bit later. Congrat Apnea :P
    I've added screens from playstation version, bulfrog team, poulous CDs etc. Only left are now followers, vehicle screens and eventual planet system. I think it can be done by zooming camera, doing screen and cutting needed things out of the picture like Kurtlange did with this AoD:
    Posted Image

It's a task for some graphic with a patience to populous :)
    Posted Image

#7 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 19 June 2010 - 19:38

I'll try to get some screens on monday or tuesday when I'm back home. I don't know how to upload them though.

#8 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 19 June 2010 - 20:37

http://popms.net/for...site-t-314.html - Images managing: go to the images manager, choose directory to upload pictures to (i created folder "About" for this) then go to the upload manager, select pictures from your harddrive and click upload.
    Posted Image

#9 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 08 July 2010 - 19:06

Alright I did that, check and see if the images are ok. I extracted them from the game in hardware mode zoomed up and tried to keep the quality as much as I could when I cropped them.
    I'll proceed to translate the article to Spanish then.

Any other articles needed?
    Who's revising the grammar of the previously made English articles? I could do that if you want and think it could help.

#10 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 08 July 2010 - 21:20

Well done Apnea, now it looks like a best article about Populous around :P Sewer wanted to revisit articles but he seems to be busy with asgard website recently. I would be grateful if you could take a look on them. I will think about other articles which you may help to write.
    I think I will release new website to users because, as Alex noticed, there is no sense to wait several more months to publish it. Since Snak, Nefarius and Apnea translated all articles and few other guys improved English articles it's better to show their hard work to everybody. In the next few weeks I will integrate forums with the new site, clean all empty or temporary links and replace current popms.net with the new content.

Later, when new program will be ready we will add informations about it to site.
    Posted Image

#11 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:08

You need to make a first welcome article for the home page though, and we need to either translate it or make one ourselves.
    English sections need a good review still though. Can't we get someone like Flame to review and republish them?
    I'd do it but as I'm not a native English speaker I might still make mistakes.
    All of the About articles are missing too.

#12 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:13

Yea, I made a list of a work to do (also available in the first post in this thread) for each language:

All languages
    • downloads - it can be translated from backend of the site (Components > Joom!Fish > Translation; Languages: , Content elements: jDownloads Categories, jDownloads Downloads), old downloads you translated are available here, so I guess much of the work can be copy & paste.
    • http://popms.net/new...home/links.html - it can be translated from backend of the site

Please do not translate menu item "Downloads" - don't ask me why because it's a longer story.

Spanish

Portuguese

Germany

Polish

My Polish friend, NaTT, is reviewing English articles but anybody who noticed some error in article or want to add some new informations is free to do so. Here are articles which need to be written before website can be published:
    I've written few ideas for their content. I would appreciate if somebody would write some more informations. I'm already busy with features for the 0.5 version of the mp. In March I guess I will be able to write all missing articles, review existing ones and integrate website with the forum.
    Posted Image

#13 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:38

I can write them, feel free to let me know those ideas if you want, I can compose the articles from them.

#14 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2011 - 14:21

Good to hear it. I placed my various thoughts directly in these articles.
    Posted Image

#15 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 17 February 2011 - 16:10

Great, I'll try and find time after work to do it.
    I need for the about article info about the early days of popms, is that written anywhere in the old site?

#16 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2011 - 21:29

At the beginning site was available in Polish language version only and was full of the tips for players - screenshot. That layout was made by my friend called Sasha. Forums were also polish only - screenshot. Layout of the currently working version has been prepared by my friend called rmc. It's also first, two lingual site with Polish and English versions of articles and news. Maybe you'll find some inspiration by reading archived news in the bottom of the current site.

Polish ===> Polish & English ===> Polish & English & Germany & Portuguese & Spanish

Nice jump :D
    Posted Image

#17 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 17 February 2011 - 23:02

Thanks! I wrote a brief summary for the tips section at work. Is that ok or should I make it longer?

#18 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 17 February 2011 - 23:13

nah, short and concrete summaries is what users are looking for while browsing the net :D
    Posted Image

#19 Apnea

Initiate

• Administrators
    • 441 posts
    • 17 topics

Posted 10 March 2011 - 20:50

Review the About the Team article please, I don't know if it's good.

#20 DAroo

Guru

• Administrators
    • 1276 posts
    • 70 topics
    • LocationPoland

Posted 10 March 2011 - 22:22

Very well, I modified it a little bit to make it less confusing for readers.
    Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic